August 20, 2009

Family moments

Some of the things you learn about yourself and your family as you travel in tight spaces are humbling and tend to bring you a little closer to your family as well as shake you up into improving your own annoying habits. Daughters tell it like it is and I share right back with them.

We had great rounds of card games - seating was special with one in the turned front seat, two on the bed/couch and one dangling from the upper bed dropping cards on to the play area from about three feet. It was great fun playing cheat when the card accidentally landed face up. We also played crazy 8 countdown - the game that never ends.

I, being the early riser always try to make as little noise as possible when I get up to make my tea, however being three feet from all sleepers makes this a futile effort. They have all learned to sleep right through it.

Merv bemoans the fact that he seems to do all the work and I have to admit he gets the lions share. On the occasions I start something - he will happily volunteer to finish it. Seriously, we have to wait for him to leave to be able to successfully complete a chore ourselves.

Dana's continual warning "Seriously Mom" in various tones and different accents is becoming my warning or a flag to tell me my daughter doesn't approve of something I've done or not done. I'm getting some real training from her and by the time we're back I should be able to successfully communicate with her friends and not cause her or myself any great embarrassment.

Suffice to say I think we have grown closer and certainly more aware of each other as well as a lot more tolerant, although the latter may be compared to being trapped and just learning to keep quiet until you can make your escape

No comments: